Many of my patients have heard me talk about nitric oxide and the vital role it plays in maintaining good health. Now more than ever people have low levels of nitric oxide due to sedentary lifestyles. It was my honor to meet Dr. Nathan Bryan, the world-renown expert in nitric oxide at the A4M (Anti-Aging and Regenerative Medicine) conference this past December. Below is an outline of the important role nitric oxide plays, things that affect nitric oxide levels and ways to help increase those levels in your body.
Nitric Oxide is Critical for the Following:
- Good circulation
- Sexual health
- Prevention of disease
- Mental health
- Skin health
- Immune Response
- Gastrointestinal Tract
- And so much more…
- In fact, without nitric acid, we could not survive.
Factors Impacting Nitric Oxide Levels Include the Following:
- Poor oral health
- Use of acid-blockers
- Use of mouthwash
- Poor diet
Interesting Facts That Pertain to Nitric Acid in Your Body:
- Every single chronic disease is characterized by decreased blood flow.
- Nitric oxide is needed for the delivery of oxygen from the lungs to tissues.
- Many people have a nitric oxide deficiency without even knowing.
- Loss of nitric oxide does not allow stem cells to mobilize and repair the body.
- As we age, we lose our ability to make 85% of our nitric oxide.
- Erectile dysfunction is a disease of inadequate nitric oxide. Viagra only works in about 45% of men.
- If you take acid blockers or use mouthwash you inhibit your ability to make nitric acid.
- The bacteria in the crypts of your tongue make nitric oxide, however, if you have a disrupted oral microbiome because you have either eradicated them with the use of antibiotics or mouthwash or you have too many bad bacteria this will impair your ability to make nitric oxide. As a result, you are at greater risk of high blood pressure.
- You can increase your nitric acid levels with exercise, foods, and supplementation.
- Some foods high in nitric oxide include: beets, garlic, organic meats, dark chocolate, leafy greens, citrus fruits, nuts, and seeds
When Choosing a Nitric Oxide Supplement It Is Important to Keep in Mind the Following:
- A number of nitric oxide boosters contain L-Arginine and there are some patients that cannot convert L-Arginine to nitric oxide.
- Patented proven products
- Licensed from a reputable University
- Look to see if the product developer is an expert in nitric oxide
- My personal favorite patented nitric oxide supplement that is backed by science is Neo40 Pro.
For more information on nitric oxide, I would highly recommend “The Functional Nitric Oxide Nutrition” which is a great read by Dr. Nathan Bryan.
Best in Health,
Dr. Tarin Forbes